Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chef Olivia

This afternoon for lunch, I let Olivia (3.5) and Juliana (almost 2) help me make mac & cheese. As I started boiling the water, they dragged the barstools over so they could reach the counter. Olivia poured the milk into the cheese powder and they took turns stirring until the pasta was ready. Then I added the pasta and butter and some peas and carrots (so I could fool myself into thinking I was serving them something healthy).

So, Olivia must have really enjoyed that because while I'm on the phone trying to track down a missing Christmas package, I notice her busy with her toy pots and pans. While on hold, I hear her explaining her steps to Gabriella (7.5 months), "now we stir..." and she's running back and forth from the kitchen. I ask how she's doing and she says "I'm Chef Olivia, and this is Chef Gabi!"

After my phone call, I notice she's now using my 10" skillet and inside are grape tomatoes, water and sliced cheese. And she's stirring with my whisk. I fuss at her for wasting actual food and tell her to use pretend food only. She replies, "But I'm making my delicious blueberry pie!" So, of course, I have no other choice but to laugh and let her play.

Needless to say, there is now a 10" skillet in my fridge "to cook" filled with water, sliced cheese and tomatoes which we will call delicious blueberry pie. But I'm not trying it!! = )

No comments:

Post a Comment