Sunday, January 17, 2010

How to Mess up Box Mixes

My daughter just turned 2, and for her birthday, I made a variety of treats. For her pre-school class, I made brownies. Then, for a play date birthday party, I made a cookie cake. At least, I tried to make those things.

Tuesday night, I made the brownies. Couldn't be easier: Pour contents of bag into bowl, add just a couple of ingredients, mix and bake. Olivia helped me pour and stir. The box said to immediately put in the oven. But I had to wait for the oven to finish preheating. The instructions were to bake 25-30 mins for an 8x8 square pan but mine was 9x9. I thought nothing of it. 25 mins later, I am in the middle of giving the girls a bath so my husband takes the brownies out and lays them on the counter to cool. After I read the girls a story and put them to bed, I check on the brownies. Rock hard. Why? How? I cut off the outer edges and try to salvage the inner squares. I put in plastic wrap and hope they will magically soften on their own.

In the morning, the brownie squares are cement statues of their former selves. Why? How? I bring them anyway. I show them off for laughs and a teacher suggests microwaving them in a damp paper towel to add moisture. Great idea! So, right before my daughter's snack time, I try it. Mmmm, now they are warm brownies right from the oven! It worked, but as soon as they cooled, they cooled hard. So I re-microwaved and hurried over to her room.

As luck would have it, another mommy had brought in mini cupcakes so all the kids went straight for the icing. We sang Happy Birthday and I took pictures of Juli with icing on her face and the kids ate the cupcakes AND the brownies. I mean, they are 2, they'll eat anything, right?

The next day was her actual birthday and her play date party. After cleaning the house, I attempt a cookie cake. You know, one of those jumbo cookies the size of a pizza with icing decorations? Again, I pour the mix out of the box and add just a couple of ingredients. I start stirring and think, "Hmm, why is this dough so pale and mushy?" I re-read the box, and underneath the photo of a stick of butter it says "1 tbs butter." So, yes, I used a STICK of butter when it called for only a tablespoon.

In my defense, I usually make cookies from scratch using two sticks of butter so it did not seem odd that a mix would ask for a stick.

OK, don't panic, just laugh. I have to tell somebody, and ask for advice, so I call my friend Angie who is a baking whiz. She bursts out laughing and says, "I don't know. I've left out ingredients before, but I've never added too much of one. Just taste it and see what it needs." I add a bit of flour just to get the consistency right, then I try it. It tastes bland. Like butter. (I always buy unsalted butter.) I try to think back at what cookie dough is supposed to taste like, so I add more sugar. When it starts to resemble regular cookie dough, I spread it on my pizza pan. It looks a lot smaller than I thought it would. I could have used two boxes. Oh well. I do my best to shape it into a circle and bake it.

As my guests arrived, I gave them full disclosure and warned them the cookie cake may taste a bit odd. Looking back, I shouldn't have said a word. It came out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment